To coordinate the ethics-related activities of the Society.
1. Increasing awareness among EUSEM members on ethical issues as they apply to the practice of emergency medicine by reviewing and disseminating information;
2. Assisting members of EUSEM in understanding and addressing the dynamic ethical issues that confront the practice of EM.
3. Timely Ethical Issues:
- identifying existing ethics materials and developing content for use in educational programs at meetings;
- choosing timely ethical issues and developing a white paper or symposium on that issue for a subsequent meeting.
4. Ethics Education by:
- serving as an educational resource, but not as an adjudication body, for EUSEM members seeking guidance on ethics issues;
- developing and overseeing ethics-related activities which will promote the Society’s standards of ethical conduct within the profession and its related disciplines;
- helping in the development of the curriculum pertaining to the teaching of ethics.
5. Ethics Research by:
- guidance on approval from hospital ethics committee;
- developing guidelines on the ethics of clinical research and its funding in emergency medicine;
- advising on the ethics of authorship, of subjects’ rights on informed consent and publication.
6.Ethics Technology by:
- identifying ethical issues pertaining to technology and the pharma-industry.
Askitopoulou, Helen (Chair)
Babakhanlou, Rodrick (Young EM Doctors Section Representative)
Garcia-Castrillo, Luis (Research Committee Representative)
Graham, Colin (Editor of EJEM)
Petrino, Roberta (EUSEM President/Ex-officio member)
Leach, Robert (Professional Committee Representative)
Sabbe, Marc (EUSEM Honorary Treasurer)
Šeblová, Jana (EUSEM Honorary Secretary)
Spiteri, Anna (Education Committee Representative)
Williams, David (Past-President UEMS EM Section)